Months into the COVID-19 pandemic, we find ourselves with completely shifted consumer perspectives. Even in cities that have entered the later stages of reopening, customers have changed their shopping habits, often, sadly, shifting dollars away from local stores or not spending (Tech.co found that 80% of small business owners say COVID-19 has hurt their businesses). At the same time consumers are spending 76% more in online shopping than the previous year.
The time is now to shift some of those online shopping dollars away from the internet giants and toward local businesses – and this is why:
- It allows you to keep your dollars in the local economy: compared to chain stores and internet giants, locally owned businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy, supporting jobs and wages (which are often better than the benefits internet giants offer)
- Shopping local directly adds to your community’s character and prosperity and help our neighborhoods and cities feel less homogenized
- You are giving directly back to your community’s well-being: local businesses build strong communities by connecting neighbors, contributing to local causes themselves and sustaining local creativity and vibrancy.
- By adding money to the local economy, you support local decision-making: you live here, your decisions should matter.
- Local spending encourages sustainability: locally made products mean less carbon footprint
- Diverting your dollars locally has a direct impact on the diversity of your local offerings: small businesses select their offerings based not on a national sales plans and predictions, but on needs of their local customers, guaranteeing a much broader range of product choices.
Are you looking for a way to make your local spending seamless? Payris is not only here to match you to the best, local, small businesses to fulfill your food and drink wishes, but is also championing the process where you are completing your transaction directly with the small business of your choice, giving both you and the business the best chance at success.